Friday, May 20, 2011

DIY shirt projects

One of my best friends is crafty and is always sharing links to cool stuff with me. Not too long ago, I got this link from her for a hand embellished ruffle tee. I totally loved it and was planning on making one. I have a couple of extra maternity tees from my screen printing project a while back that I thought would work great. They were a little big, but I figured I could always take them in on the sides. I was all ready to make it, and I went to the website to get the directions and found a whole world of make your own embellished tees. I saw this petal one and fell even more in love. I was actually in bed, looking on my iphone when I found it, and got out of bed to make it. I'm most productive at night anyway, and I don't have a toddler hanging on my arms the whole time, which would be almost impossible to have while making this shirt. I have a box of shirts that are too small for me, even not pregnant, that I was planning on using for this exact purpose and quickly found a gray one that would work with the extra white shirt I had. It was tee shirt material too, which meant I didn't have to worry about fraying. (Yay for knit materials!) I went a little rouge on the directions on the blog. I used a template to make three different sized petals. I didn't follow it to a tee, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't have super wonky big or small ones. I started with the smallest ones around the neck first and pinned them all in place. I went a little crazy with the pins, but given that this is the only row with an exposed seam, it was important to me that it look nice. I just pinned and sewed it on with my machine. I did one row at a time. After the first row, I was looser with the pins and placement of the petals. I eventually ended up with this. I really liked it, but the petals were curling up a ton. I just starched them and ironed them down and that did the trick.













You might also like:




Clickety-Clack Bouncer











Cake Pops










Baby's First Gift

2 comments:

  1. you and mandi make me sick! you guys make all of these cute little designer things and i can't manage to make my bed!! i do NOT have the patience for it :( i'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh don't get me wrong. I totally don't make my bed!

    ReplyDelete